Monday, July 9, 2012

Widgets

Lakeway Resort & Spa ~ Austin, Texas

The second month of summer is upon us already! Can you believe it?  June has flown by, filled with camps, traveling, and outdoor fun (before it got too hot!).  Did you schedule any downtime?  Any weekend get-a-ways with the whole family?  No worries - I am hunting down some perfect locations for local "staycation" fun for you & your kiddos!

In late June, my family I had headed out to a hidden gem on the shores of Lake Travis.  Lakeway Resort and Spa is less than 30 miles from downtown Austin, though you feel as if you are a million miles away from the hustle and bustle.  Lakeway Resort and Spa is a beautiful resort that features a full-service spa, 24-hour fitness center, and nearby golf & tennis.  We found it to be a perfect get-away for the whole family and here's why:
The Lakeway Resort and Spa has a gorgeous pool with a tremendous view, overlooking Lake Travis.  We spent hours at the pool - sliding down the slide and playing in the water features.  There are private cabanas to rent for the day to stay in the shade as well.  We were there on a weekday, so it was never crowded.

There is a 21 & up pool on the other side of the Bar that had a gorgeous view of the Lake.  Had the kids not been with me, I would have been on that side with a margarita in hand.  It looked like a perfect place for a ladies weekend.....but that's for another post!
Once we had exhausted our time in the pool, we wanted to check out the Kid Zone.  New this summer, Lakeway Resort & Spa has created a fun area of the resort dedicated for kids.  The Austin Room has been turned into a children's wonderland, filled with games, toys, arts & crafts, books, movies and more.

The Kid Zone offers supervised kid-friendly activities for a small fee, allowing Mom & Dad to enjoy a round of golf, a few hours at the spa, or a romantic sunset dinner. It is the ideal solution to a restful staycation with the whole family, as you get to spend a bit of time with your significant other, while the kids are having fun.
And believe me, it was FUN!  I asked my kids what their favorite part of our stay was and they both enthusiastically agreed it was the Kids Zone.  They spent 2 hours making kites, bracelets, and playing Ga-Ga.

Ga-Ga? Uh-huh. This is a fast-paced came of below-the-knee dodgeball.  My kids loved it - even I joined in a bit and played with them.
Dinner was served that evening in Josey's overlooking the sunset on Lake Travis.  The kids enjoyed hamburgers and milkshakes, while we were able to eat like adults with yummy braised short rib nachos, a mouth-watering filet mignon, and a sweet "snickers" bread pudding for dessert.  Executive Chef Jeff Axline has created a Texas-inspired menu that has some very unique dishes on it.  It was delicious.
What I enjoyed the most about our visit to Lakeway Resort & Spa was the relaxed, laid-back feeling that came over us.  After dinner, we took a stroll out to the deck that overlooks the lake.  The kids enjoyed watching the boats while I relaxed in the rocking chair watching the gorgeous sunset.
Our room had a balcony where I enjoyed this view.  Nothing says "Ahhhhhhhh" better, don't you agree?
Lakeway Resort & Spa also offers fun water activities such as Ski & Pontoon boats, Wave Runners, and Party Barge rentals.  You can also charter a sunset sail or go fishing.

We enjoyed our overnight stay at Lakeway Resort and Spa.  We found it to be a great place to unwind, play with the kids, and take a break from the everyday pressures.  Being so close to Austin, it is quick and easy to get to - a perfect weekend get-a-away for the whole family!


Texas Travel Facts for Lakeway Resort & Spa:
Location: 101 Lakeway Drive, Austin, Texas
Pool Hours: 6 am - 10 pm (daily) Kid Zone Hours: 11 am - 8 pm
Good to Know: Lifeguard are on duty at the pool; children under 16 must be accompanied by an adult while swimming; coolers and outside food & beverages are not permitted; bar & snack bar are located at the pool area

My family and I were invited to visit the resort and were provided an evening stay. I was not financially compensated for this post.  All opinions of Lakeway Resort & Spa are strictly my own based on my experience.  

3 comments:

Connie said...

That looks like so much fun!

Bread pudding is my weakness!!

Steve said...

My thought would be that tall people would be at a distinct disadvantage during a game of Ga-Ga, so I'd love to hear how you did when you joined in? The kids room is something I would have loved when my kids were a little younger. So many fun things to do. They need a room like that for adults.

Meagan said...

I've always wanted to go to Lake Travis.