Saturday, December 15, 2012

Widgets

White Christmas at the ZACH Theatre ~ Austin, TX

Nothing puts one in the Christmas Spirit better than seeing a Holiday Show, especially one with a dancing Santa and falling snow!  So when I found out that one of my all-time favorite Christmas movies, White Christmas, could be seen on stage, I immediately put it on my calendar.  

Now through December 30, Irving Berlin's White Christmas is performed nightly at the ZACH Theatre's new Topfer Theatre.  Adapted from the well-known movie, the musical is delightful. We had the privilege of seeing it this past week and I cannot say enough great things about it.   If you are searching for something fun to do with the family here in Austin, this is it.
From the opening number, you are immediately pulled into the show with classic Holiday songs like "Happy Holidays" and "White Christmas".  Set in the glorious 1950's, two song & dance guys partner with a set of singing sisters to help bring a winter wonderland to a declining Vermont Inn and find love along the way.  It is classic.  It is iconic.  And you will grin from ear-to-ear the whole way through.
 It never ceases to amaze me, the talent that abounds here in Austin and the great opportunities we have to see it up close & personal.  ZACH's new Topfer Theatre has such an intimate setting that you almost feel a part of the show.  I loved being able to see the actor's expressions - pulled me right in.  In the past, I have paid way too much to see some of the national shows come through Austin, only to be so far back that I can only walk away enjoying the music.  I don't think there is a bad seat in the house at the Topher Theatre and I can't wait to see more shows here.
For a family, White Christmas is simply fun.  The costumes are beautiful, the set is fantastic and again, the acting is terrific.  We actually got chill-bumps and maybe teared up a bit at the ending number - it was that good.  So grab the family or even take a date for a fun holiday night on the town - tickets are still available, but I bet they are going fast once the word gets out at how great of a show it is.

Irving Berlin's White Christmas
ZACH Theatre
202 S. Riverside Dr, Austin, TX
tickets starting at $25
order here: zachtheatre.org

photos courtesy ZACH Theatre

No comments: