Sunday, July 7, 2013

Widgets

Day 1: It Takes How LONG to Get Out of Texas?

 And we're off!!  One adult, 3 kids, and one very stragically-packed minivan hit the road at 9:30 am.  I anticipated a long, boring drive through West Texas to Carlsbad, but I was pleasantly surprised at how pretty Texas is.  Nah - not surprised - just proud.  Some may look at the dry, rolling hills and think - BO-RING.  I don't - I see growth and hard work and openness.   Of course, that could be the pride I have for my native state.

I don't know, do you think this is a pretty site to look at all day?
 

We took a quick pit stop in Fort Stockton, Texas - home of the 2nd Largest Roadrunner in the World (yes, you needed to know that) and famous for the Comanche Springs that led to the creation of a Fort along the cattle trail.  The city has a great Visitor's Center, but it was unfortunately closed when we were there.  There was still plenty to walk around and see.

The children were excited to be on the road and ready for their adventure, so everyone was on their best behavior - checking out new games, books, and road trip binders - we will see how long the cheerfulness will last - I'm crossing my fingers!
We finally made it to Carlsbad, NM 9 hours after our day begun.  Nothing like taking 8 hours to get out of your state to remind you how BIG it is!

No comments: