Thursday, July 31, 2014

Widgets

Thinkery's Workshops ~ Austin, TX


Did you know that Austin's Childrens' Museum, Thinkery, offers workshops for children (and adults)?  These events occur weekly - especially during the summer - and are engaging, age appropriate and totally fun!

Last week, my son & I took a "Parent & Child" class on soldering.  Truth be told, when I registered him, I did not realize that it was for parents too.  I'm always game for a fun time, so this momma learned how to solder and to be honest, it was a ton of fun.  It was as if I got to go to "summer camp" for a few hours too!


The workshop started with a through explanation of what soldering is and how to do it.


And then we were sent to our individual tables to practice.

Thinkery has a fantastic staff for these workshops that are extremely helpful. Case in point --->  In our soldering workshop, we were soldering electrical wires to plates to make a blinking pin.  This was right up my 11 year old's alley and he took to it immediately. It required coordination and a steady hand - both of which I like to think I have.

Who finished their pin with 2 blinking lights perfectly?? My 11 year old.

And who messed up her one-light pin?  Yeah, that was me.


Thankfully, the Thinkery staff were so patient and kind to help the mom out.

Personally, I love the variety of workshops Thinkery has to offer kids that appeal to BOTH boys & girls.  They had kitchen workshops, electricity workshops, sewing workshops, computer programming workshops and more.  In the month of August, you & your kids can learn how to program a computer, make a solar oven, sew a pillowcase and make some tasty pickles (to name a few).

They offer 2 hour classes that is for both the child and the adult and the prices range from $35-45 a class. That's very reasonable for the quality time that is spent in the limited size class.


We have a whole month left until school starts and with the hottest temps coming, this is a perfect way to spend the afternoon.  Check out their schedule here.

And before you visit Thinkery, check out a few tips to make it a great time.

Disclosure: My son & I were invited to attend the Thinkery Workshop as a guest.  I was not paid to write this article.  All opinions are my own. 

No comments: