Monday, April 21, 2014

Widgets

Grand Lucayan ~ Freeport, Grand Bahamas Island

There is nothing more beautiful than the beaches of the Bahamas.  Recently, we were able to spend the day on one of these beaches at the Grand Lucayan on the Grand Bahama Island.  


I was thrilled to be cruising to the Bahamas aboard the Carnival Magic this past March. But when I was doing my research into port activities on the second stop of the cruise, Freeport, Grand Bahama Island, I didn’t find many options to play at these gorgeous beaches.

With just a little bit of searching, I found the Grand Lucayan and for those traveling on a cruise ship, this beautiful resort offers a day pass to spend the day at their private beach.  A short, 20 minute taxi ride takes you right to the resort.

Just a few minutes here and you will want to come back for an extended vacation. I think that’s what they want – Just a little taste of this paradise is really not enough.  Here’s why:


The Beach
The Grand Lucayan’s private beach is an absolute oasis – something out of a movie.  The stark, white sands contrast with the blue waters that beckon you to come and relax in them.  This beach is amazingly quiet and peaceful....I can imagine a week's worth of lying on this beach in my future.


There are chairs available to sit by the water’s edge and just zone out or you can have a great time building sand castles and running in the water with the kids. If relaxing isn’t what you are looking for, guys walk up & down the beach to offer banana boat tours and parasailing.


We really loved how clean and pristine the sand and waters were.  As it was March, the water was chilly, but we forced ourselves in.  It’s not every day these Texas kids get to play in such clear, blue water.


The Pool
I loved having the option of relaxing by the pool too.  The Grand Lucayan  has a large pool that curves and winds around, giving plenty of places to grab a lounger and sit in the sun.  My favorite part was the swim up bar.  You can grab a cool drink and relax at the edge of the infinity pool, and look out into the Atlantic Ocean for hours. 


The Hammocks
Speaking of relaxing, look at these gorgeous hammocks under the palm trees you can lay in all day.  I can just feel the cool ocean breeze lulling me to sleep by looking at this picture.


And More
If the ocean or the pool is not enough, the Grand Lucayan has lots of great amenities to keep you busy. We found a shuffleboard, a life-sized chess game, hair braiding, volleyball, and more at the resort.

We grabbed lunch at Iries while we were there and I was able to finally try conch fritters – my daughter and I really liked them! They also have burgers and grilled cheese as well as pasta and pizza – a great variety.

If you want to get a little shopping in, right across the street is the Port Lucayan shopping area. They have clothing, jewelry, and more. There is also a great marketplace right at the ship too where we found s gorgeous sea shell and some fun bathing suit cover-ups.


It was nice to get off the ship and enjoy a calm day by the ocean during our cruise. A Day Pass is verity reasonable for all that you get ($15 adults 10 & up, $7 children).  The Grand Lucayan is a gorgeous resort and one we definitely want to check out in the future for an extended trip.  For more information on the resort and how to get a day pass, click here.

My family & I were invited to visit Grand Lucayan and were given complimentary access to the resort.  I was not compensated for this post.  All opinions are my own. 

1 comment:

Anwar said...

I've never been much of a beach person but it does look incredible there. One day I will get to the Bahamas for sure!