Wednesday, June 4, 2014

Widgets

Melia Orlando Suite Hotel ~ Celebration, FL


For years we have visited Walt Disney World and stayed on property - I thought that really was the only way to experience Disney.  But after a recent stay at Melia Orlando Suite Hotel at Celebration, I now see things differently.

Melia Orlando is located less than 9 miles outside the gates of Walt Disney World - I was driving by car and it took us less than 10 minutes to get from Epcot to our hotel.  And while location is a great thing, that's not the only reason why you should consider Melia Orlando for your next trip to the Orlando area.

Accommodations

Melia Orlando has 240 suites - 93 one-bedroom and 147 two-bedroom suites.  I was very pleased with how large the suites were - they were apartment-sized and perfect for my family of 5. Each suite had a large kitchen, dining & living area and separate bedrooms on each side of the suite with full bathrooms (shower and bathtub).  In our family suite, the master bedroom had a king and the other bedroom had 2 queens.  And if we needed more beds, the couch folds out to make another queen.


The suites were spacious, giving us plenty of room to relax after a full day in Orlando. We did both Walt Disney World and some exploring in the Kissimmee area while we were visiting and it was nice to come "home" to such a big suite.  The beds were very comfortable, like falling-into-a-cloud comfortable - I later found out it was the egyptian-cotton sheets and down comforter that made it so comfy.  After a long day walking the parks, I wanted a comfortable bed! And as silly as it is to comment on the shower, the rain-forest shower head was amazing - yes, I like a good, hot shower.


I loved having the ability to cook meals in the fully stocked kitchen as well. The stainless-steel appliances were full-sized. And the coffee-maker, dishes, wine glasses, and refrigerator were much appreciated. And while I didn't cook during our stay, we did keep our left-overs int eh fridge.  If we were staying for a week, have a big kitchen like this would allow us to save a ton of money by eating breakfast & dinner in each day. The suite is really perfect for a whole week's stay for an entire family.

I don't typically mention decor of a hotel - they all look the same to me (unless it's a themed hotel).  The Melia Orland had a small, boutique reception area which was extremely welcoming and I really loved all the murals they had on each floor.  It was such a welcoming change for hotel decor.

Amenities

What do kids care about when staying at a hotel?  How big is the pool? The buildings of the Melia Orlando encircle this gorgeous courtyard with large infinity pool.  I loved having the zero-point entry for my little man to play around in.  We enjoyed the pool in the afternoon, but it looked quite inviting to jump in first thing in the morning. In the winter the pool is heated too.


Melia Orlando offers a free shuttle to EPCOT, Universal Studios, and SeaWorld as well as other places in the area.  This is a great way to avoid parking fees and potentially getting lost traveling to one of the parks. While the park shuttle has certain times, you can ask for the shuttle to take you to the grocery store, area restaurants, Celebration golf club and more.

And my children wanted me to mention that they loved the fact that their "toys" liked Melia Orlando as well. Each day, they seemed to "play" while we were out.  We'd come home to find them scattered around the suite.  Loved seeing that the employees of Melia Orlando like to have fun too!

Dining

I have the pleasure of having dinner one evening at Fuego Restaurant & Gastrobar, which is above the lobby. The recent renovation of this restaurant was inspired by Melia’s Spanish heritage. The restaurant offers a fusion of traditional Spanish dishes and Mediterranean flavors, paired with Peruvian and Latin influenced creations. They offer small plates to full steak dinners in a beautiful setting. I loved never having to leave the property to have such a gourmet meal.

Location

So let's go back to location.  Being less than 10 minutes from Universal Orlando, Walt Disney World, and SeaWorld is really convenient.  I never felt like I missed anything by being away from the parks.  In fact, I felt like it allowed me to regroup and refresh myself for the next day by stepping away from all the action and coming back to my quiet suite.  Did you catch that - it was so quiet.  I got such a great nights sleep each night of my stay.

Being in the heart of Celebration, I was able to experience more of the Orlando area and show my family that there was much more to Florida than Walt Disney World. In fact, we spent one day at Gatorland and at Boggy Creek Airboat Ride - can't wait to tell you about those soon.  Staying off-site allowed me to experience more of what Kissimmee and the surrounding area had to offer.

Disclosure: My family and I were invited to stay at Melia Orlando Suites Hotel for 3 nights. I was not paid for this review. All opinions are my own. 

Learn more about Melia Orlando Suites Hotel and book a room here.

No comments: